Saturday, January 23, 2010

Things we will miss about Calgary...

  • Tim Hortons...(Earle will miss the double double, and Collin the Tim-bits)
  • The deposit for the grocery carts(we used to dislike this, until recently we drove to a Super Wal-mart and could hardly find a place to park because of all of the grocery carts in the parking spaces)
  • The Farmer's Market...we loved this place, it is awesome! There is also an awesome one in Vancouver!
  • The fact that Spring last year lasted from May to September
  • People take time to have you over for coffee...the day will stop for a cup of Joe and a pastry.
  • Being able to walk to shops etc from our home..even the grocery store.
  • Our Church and personally I will miss singing with this particular Praise team! A group of wonderful people! Also, we will miss our Small Group at Church.
  • Being within an hour of the Rocky Mountains...hiking in the summer, sledding in the winter...
  • The freezing temperature allows you to put your child's dirty diaper outside and it freezes and does not stink...bonus!
  • The wildlife...and animals...we have Snowshoe Hares running all over the place in our neighborhood..and it was cool to see them change from white to brown to white again...
  • The environmentally friendly standards in Canada..it is so nice and clean!
  • The fact that my hair takes less time to straighten because there is hardly any humidity here!
  • I have learned so much about cooking and nutrition..from different friends here and just learned a different standard...so that is cool...and it kind of sparked a new hobby for me with cooking and appreciating different foods.
  • Canadians spend a lot of time focusing on their families and taking time off..they are encouraged to by their bosses...so that has been great..no long hours for Earle..ladies here get one year of maternity leave verses the 6 to 12 weeks in the states..so that is pretty awesome!
  • New Perspective on Health care...if you want to know how we feel after living here for a year and being a part of the Canadian system, we would love to tell you, ask us personally sometime..too hot of a political topic for a blog post...
  • All of the electric fireplaces...I get out of the bath, and walk into my warm bedroom with the fire going on a freezing cold night..pretty nice:)
  • We have sort of embraced the Canadian custom of leaving our shoes at the door...our kids naturally do this now and it does keep the floor more clean...
  • EH? and ABOOT
  • Coffee Break Bible Study Group
  • Calgary Christian School
  • Of course what I will miss the MOST are my sweet friends and the many coffee's and conversations that we have had...thank goodness for blogs, facebook and skype:)
  • We are definitely leaving here changed in many ways...I hope to get to visit some with Earle when he comes back for work. (you are going to bring me, right Earle??!) We are glad that God sent us here and would not change our experience for anything. It has been well worth the hustle and bustle!

CB & EB

15 comments:

  1. What a fun year for your family, I'm so happy it was a good experience! The Browns are like Jello they slip in, put on a happy face, and fit just about anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind putting "Living in Canada for a Year" on MY list of things that i have done.

    I bet you're glad to have had this experience, and your boys are going to be better people because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And yes, it has been a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you've embraced being there and made the most of it. I think that says alot about you guys! Calgary sounds like a really neat place. Can't wait to see what you love/dislike about Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww!! I'm so glad you have been a part of our lives! Short but definitely sweet. Look forward to visiting you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll miss you guys!
    Nicola J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carrie
    Love your list, love the fact that you are PC on the Health care issue, love your will do spirit.
    But...
    I have one more thing you should miss. Have you seen any rats in Alberta? Did you know that Alberta is the only place in North America that has a rat patrol? We make a lot of jokes about it but we love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stopping the day for coffee and a treat is my religion :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan!! I absolutely will miss the 'rat free' terrain!! There are definately lots of big rats in Texas...we once had some partying in our garage...big ones...and I hate rats!! You make such a valid point!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to say you forgot to mention me in there, but of course I know that I am included in the friends you will miss. And I am glad about this. You guys will be missed more than you know. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie--you are my hero! I agree with Michelle--you guys are like jello--great analogy! If I have to move again I want to be just like you! Love you, girl!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  12. Things Canada will miss about the Browns':
    -Ben's giggle
    -Earle's sarcasm
    -Colin's sweetness
    -Carrie's spunkiness

    And so so much more!!! I love you, Carrie Brown! I am so thankful the Lord allowed our paths to cross for a while. I have a feeling they will cross again.:) -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin that is sweet!! And what makes me laugh even more is that my Scottish friends will get a big kick out of your comment because in Scotland...
    Spunk means sperm
    bwhahahahahaha!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so proud of the 4 of you. I know you will have fond memories of this past year. Spending a year in Canada a made a big imprint on your lives and I know you will enjoy visiting all the new friends you made there. However, I am a little selfish and am looking forward to your being closer.
    Love
    Mops

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mops,
    You are so sweet! We love you and can't wait to spend some time with you!

    ReplyDelete