Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dear Shell Oil... E&P(Exploration and Production).....

Dear Shell E&P,
First off I would like to say that I am grateful to you for providing me and my family some special opportunities and also stability of work and a comfortable lifestyle in which I can stay at home with my children and enjoy some of life's wonderful blessings.
That being said, I am getting terribly annoyed with you. I am tired! I have an almost 3 yr. old who will have lived in Illinois, Louisiana, Calgary and Houston before his 3rd birthday. Granted we chose to take these moves, but it is getting harder and harder to muster up the emotional energy..not to mention the physical energy that it takes to make such big moves. We have waited since the beginning of October...first wondering if Earle was still going to have a job, and secondly wondering where in the world you were going to send us to next...we waited out 6 weeks before we found out that answer..and it was a tense 6 weeks, we prayed and prayed about where the spirit was going to lead us next..and the Lord granted us a place that might provide some stability for the next many years...to Houston! So upon hearing that we were so excited and waiting to hear when our moving date would be. We thought it would be the beginning of January because that is when Earle's job was sort of officially supposed to shift over. Here we are mid-January...still, no word from human resources on the in's and out's of our transfer. People are having goodbye parties for us...but we are not quite gone yet! Everywhere we go, people are asking us when our move date is..and we still have to say...uhm...we don't know yet. I need to be able to say goodbye to people so I can emotionally deal with the saying goodbye and move on to the next step...it is how I process!!! We are spending the emotional energy on the anticipation of when you are going to give us an answer!!
I have finally remembered to tell Earle to contact the off-shore rep. who lives in Manila..to see if he can get the relocation process going. I find it bizarre that someone in the Philippines is doing the organizing for something that really is only happening to a small family in North America.
And to be honest, I am not thinking about what happens even after we arrive in Houston..only what happens before we get there. We still have bank accounts to switch to American Dollars, a car to sell and buy, a house to put up for sell, a house to buy, a church to find, a school to find...and social community to establish. Don't get me wrong, you help pay for all of these things and you make try to make the process less difficult for us...but still!!! I even think you could be making me fat from the unnecessary emotional calories I have consumed lately. I may need to write your CFO a letter to see if he would be willing to pay for anxiety meds, diet pills and a possible tummy tuck upon my arrival back to the US...come on..seriously, it is the least you could do.
Shell, I need some closure...I am too tired to deal with you at this point...I need to be done now. Most women would not put up with being in this type of limbo. I thought you loved me. Don't make me call you colorful names. I need a break!

Expatriate Wife,
Carrie Brown

(That being said, I am blessed beyond measure, I know this. God is good and his timing, I know, is perfect.)

13 comments:

  1. You have got to be one of the funniest people I know! Yet you're using your last resource (humor) to get through the anxiety of these moments, days and months. Praying for you dear friend, perserverance is tough going but sweet on the flip side when you can see what had to happen. I know you know this but HE's really got it all worked out ...Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just crack me up darlin'! That being said, I don't know how you do it! I had to go on meds for 1 major move, let alone the 85 that you have done! Hope you get answers SOON! I will be glad to have you back in calling distance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have special "pills" and I share...just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that you get an answer soon too. I am ready for you to be in the states again and in Texas. Ready to say "sure I can come for a visit."
    Love
    Mops

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie~ I have said it before and I will say it again, " You amazing and I could probably not do what you do." There, I said it again.
    Geez. I should write Shell a note!

    All I know is that it will be fun to have you back in Texas. I know Houston is far, but we can arrange SOMETHING!!!!

    Love you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one oil field wife to another - I feel your pain and completely understand where you're coming from. The things that are important to us seem to rarely be the things that are important to others in this process! I'll be praying for quick answers, smooth transitions, and safe travels. Let me know if there is anything you need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should send this to Shell. Seriously.

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the other employees waiting to hear something about their relocation didn't do anything like this. Hopefully originality will score big points in you guys getting news very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Aisling, I did not really send it to Shell!! Just venting on a blogpost:) Plus, I would not know who to send it to and Earle would be mortified!!hahaha! Thanks for thinking it was original and also for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, I think about you all the time, when I get down in the dumps about the number of times I've had to rip everything up just as the roots were beginning to grow, wondering how to muster the emotional energy to do it all again. You do it with such sweetness and grace, a smile always on your face. You are an inspiration to me, and it sounds like many others, too. Hang in there, we're praying for you.

    PS -- Shell Oil has a face book group...I've had some success with businesses going that route...might be worth a try... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart, Carrie -- I can imagine how stressful this all must be. Think of it this way -- at least you have made such neat friendships that will be hard to say goodbye to. You really do seem to throw yourself in 100% wherever you are, and I think that is a real gift. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie - Hang in there! As a former Navy kid I can somewhat relate. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whether this was a "real letter" or not, you sure did get an impressive number of comments!

    ReplyDelete