Sunday, January 31, 2010

As a Mother, I threw up my hands, and God heard me and answered.


We are drawing very close to our moving day. Our movers will be here at the end of this week and we will be flying out of Calgary to Houston next Wednesday, February 10th. My throat is tight and thick, not so much from the coughing but from the idea of our upcoming goodbyes. I am generally a compassionate person, but not an emotional one. For some reason the past couple of weeks, I am just plagued with emotions. I mentioned two posts ago about how I need to process by letting go, and also I mentioned about how I would miss my sweet friends. All of this continues to tighten in my throat. The one thing that I have not mentioned is how this will be affecting my Ben.
Ever since my boy was born, I have had a hard time understanding him. To be honest, he, for the first 3 years of his life was an extreme challenge. Many times I prayed over him, and asked the Lord to help me mold him into a kind, loving and wise young man. My frustrations laid in the fact that I knew what a bright child that Ben was. He had so many talents but his impulsiveness and behavior really made it hard for others to see. If you read posts from 2007-2008 you will see that I documented some really hard days. So, like I said, I threw up my hands and gave this away because when Ben was around 3 and a half, I realized I had been blaming myself for his behaviors. It dawned on me that it was not my fault, and it was not exactly me causing causing the bad behaviors, it was how God had made him, perfect in his own image, and it was only my job to try to learn to understand him. It was not my job to change him but to mold him. At this point, I sort of let go of it in a way.
Randomly, in late 2008 the Lord decided to send us here to Calgary. I am now realizing that one great reason for God plucking us up out of Louisiana is because of my prayers for my son Ben. We ended up at Calgary Christian School this year as Ben started his first year of kindergarten. It was like God thought to himself, I have the perfect setting in mind for you with the exact right personalities of teachers that you will respond to. Only, it is not here, it is in Canada. There is something really special about the fact that Ben was put in a class with these two particular wonderful ladies teaching him. They were able to give him just enough one on one time to give him a little boost with his behavior and also in his learning. Just loving, gentle nudges, that is all that it took.
With children we know that development is all about timing and crucial stages in a child's life. God's timing here was absolutely perfect. Ben has really grown as a young man in his behaviour and his love to learn and go to school. His teachers keep telling me that he was such a good boy and that it was not hard for them, but sometimes just a little bit of the right thing at the exact right time in a child's life is life-changing. Ben's last day of school at CCS is on Wednesday. Ben is sad to leave his teachers and his class, but he is also excited about moving to Texas so we can be closer to our families who he misses very much.

Tomorrow I am bringing red, white and blue cupcakes to Ben's school. We have made his class red, white and blue beaded necklaces, and Ben has written two very special letters to his two teachers....


Mrs. Degelder,

You are the best!

You make me happy!

I liked it when you helped me.

Thank you for helping me learn how to write letters and read better.

I will remember you when I am gone.

I love you so much,

Love,

Ben






Mrs. Bouwman,


I like it when you read to me and the whole class.

You make me happy.

I think you are very nice and pretty.

I really like the song you taught us in class about the planets.

I think you are a fun teacher.

I am so glad I got to be in your class!

And you know, I'll always love blue;

And also, I love you!

Love,

Ben Brown



To be honest, I am not sure that I am not giving all of these letters and necklaces and cupcakes for my own closure. Ben does not understand fully what God did for him and how he was blessed. I wanted to document this so that one day when we are looking at our scrapbooks, I can tell Ben how I threw up my hands to God, he heard me...and that God thinks he is so special and wanted to do this for him. Ben is now all caught up in school. His teachers and class love him. They really brought out the best in Ben and everyone was also able to enjoy his fabulous little funny personality.

I'll have to remember this as he gets to the teenage years..and if I am hitting a brick wall with him..I need to remember to listen to where or who God might be calling us to...who knows it could be in a different country.:)

Okay, after writing all of this, the lump in my throat has returned!


Ephesians 3:20
"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory, in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."



CB





8 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Carrie! You brought tears to my eyes! I am so thankful that you were able to recognize it was God's timing! You must remember that it was not only Ben's teachers that believed in him, it was also a wonderful Mama that God made for him! Love you! Good luck as you end this chapter and begin a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Carrie. A tribute to those who affected not just your life but Ben's as well. You may be moving away, but relationships will remain strong and Ben will always remember the impact his Calgary teachers had on him. I pray he has teachers just as amazing in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very profound thoughts. as always. You are a very wise woman and dear friend to so many. It is so clear how much you love and trust in God and how you are most definitely doing His work and showing His love all around you. I know I personally aspire to be more like you in this respect. Thank you for being such an example and wonderful friend. And we have all known how wonderful Ben is too--the apple does not fall far from the tree! Glad you are feeling peace with how things have evolved in your life...even though you do have to leave many dear friends behend as you go.....Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the way home from your house the other night, Sam said, "Man, I'm gonna miss that kid." I think that pretty much sums it up for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Carrie! At least now I know you're human! I've been amazed at how well you handle moving to and from different places. You certainly do better than anyone I know!! I'm sure Ben will do great with the move. He'll be a better student for having had those 2 sweet teachers. :) Good luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is precious. I am sure that Ben's teachers are just as blessed by knowing him as he was by them. He is such a sweet soul and I miss getting to hear his contagious giggle. You and Earle are such wonderful parents and a great example for all of us. We are praying for you in your next chapter and know that the Lord will bless you. We love you all so much!
    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, this is beautiful. It is reaffirming to me that God cares -- He truly cares for each one of us -- that He would orchestrate this move for Ben specifically to grow in ways that you couldn't yet see. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie~
    This post really convicted me. Wow. What a blessing these words and this experience was for me.
    Ben is so blessed to call you Mom!

    You are a great great person and I am so thankful that God put you in my life! Your family is blessed to have you.

    I am also so proud of Ben. He is working so hard at each place that God has placed him. We are praying over your move to Houston and KNOW that God has AMAZING blessings for you there!!!

    Love you,
    Janell

    ReplyDelete