Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Lesson for Ben about Motorcycles!

A few months ago, Ben started asking me about motorcycles. He thought they looked awesome, every motorcycle in the parking lot that he saw caught his eye and he decided that one day he really thought he would like one for himself. You know, the total guy testosterone thing! This is how our conversations would go when he saw a motorcycle....

Ben: Mom, look at that MOTORCYCLE!

Me: Yes, Ben, cool.:(

Ben: Mom, I really want a motorcycle.

Me: No.

Ben: Why not mommy?

Me: Because they are dangerous and your not old enough to have one.

Ben: When will I be big enough?

Me: When you are older like daddy.

Ben: How will I know I am older?

Me: I am not sure, you will just know.

Ben: I think it will be when I get hair under my arms like my daddy.

Me: (Laughing) You know, that is a good sign that you will be getting closer to being big!



So anyway, this past Saturday, we were driving over to a local park to let the boys play. We drove under I-12 and we were stopping at the light. There was a motorcycle right in front of us turning onto the interstate. The motorcycle, clipped the truck in front of him, started to spin and right in front of Earle, Ben and me watching, he crashed. Literally like 10ft from our car or less. Earle and I were sort of freaking out like," Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! " He fell and the motorcycle fell on top of him and things flew off of the motorcycle. Ben saw the whole thing. Luckily, the guy seemed to be okay and was not hurt too badly. The emergency vehicles arrived and it was pretty intense.

This is how our motorcycle conversation went after that:

Me: Ben do you think you want a motorcycle when you get big?

Ben: No, mommy, I think I want a blue truck, or maybe a red one!

Me(ecstatic about this decision): Oh, that sounds great Ben!

Earle(disappointed): Really Ben, you don't want to ride motorcycles together someday?

Ben: No, daddy, because I will fall and bust my head off!


My hope...maybe this one will stick!! Have a great rest of the week!
CB

7 comments:

  1. OH how funny! I can just hear Ben's little voice (I love his voice)saying every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, funny. Thanks for sharing! ...and I'm glad that it looked like the guy was okay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. kid's comments can be hilarious! Just when I want to hang Braden by his toes, he says something super funny that saves him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God works in crazy ways, doesn't he?
    Hugs,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious.

    Crazy that you're moving to Canada! How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priceless. Your child is a gem. You never know what your going to get. I love it. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis is Lee's comment : "WHat a cool story!"
    He's been catching up on my blogging friends but was too shy to admit it and post what he really said after reading about the motorcycle guy. I had a hard time trying to convice him submitting blogging comments is not a girl thing!

    ReplyDelete