Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Hard Mommy Week!!! A Glimpse inside my life for real!







We have all heard the saying, "when it rains, it pours" and I think that this goes really with how children behave. When we have a bad week, it can be REALLY BAD!! You know we all want to paint our children in a wonderful light to others, but sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and let the "Joy, Joy, Joy" come from down in your heart! All that being said, our week started our really bad. It was Ben's last week of preschool, and Monday, he had his school 3 yr. old program. He does not like being in programs, so as soon as he saw me, he bolted right off of the stage. His teacher, Mrs. Julie, tried to convince him to go back up, and he repeatedly told her and I no, so we thought it was a lost cause, but at the last minute, he told us he would go back up if I went...so, I thought, if this will help him overcome his fear, I will put my embarrassment behind me and go...I did this, and we got to the second song, which was "Down in my Heart" and as you can see in the picture that another mom took of me with my own camera...that I was doing the motions to "The Joy, Joy, Joy," all by myself(the pic with me and the hands by my head), while Ben was running down the steps of the stage, around the stage and up behind the piano. This did not end well. While all the parents were video taping, I decided that it already looked stupid enough that I was up there, much more with Ben ruining it and acting up in the program, so I got off of my knees, caught him and carried him out of the auditorium screaming so that his class could have their last song, without distraction.






On Tuesday, he seemed in a better mood, so when we went through the Starbucks drive thru he asked me if he could have his drink(kid's choc. milk with whip cream) I said sure, because that is a special treat, and he ordered it and then told the lady in the speaker, "Thanks, Cupcake" He also yelled in the Dr.'s office yesterday to a lady that was talking on her cell phone, "Hey Lady, your too Loud!! I can't hear my show" and then after that I told him that he was not to ever talk like that to anyone again. He proceeded to tell me not to ever say no to him again because that was unacceptable behavior! Oh My!!!! Last night, I was telling Earle about all of his, "ugly talk" and told Earle that today, I was going to put a stop to it. So at 6:45 this morning, he wanted to get up and go downstairs, our rule is he has to wait until the clock says 7:00...so I told him no, he had to wait, and he told me no he was not going to wait, and so I said , yes you are and told him to tell me yes mam and he proceeded to say, yes, sir, and not comply...so, I took his Superman P.J.'s away from him, for the way he was talking to me and I also took his favorite toy....and this fit that I have recorded for you is when he had "cooled down" a little. His tantrum lasted about 30 minutes this morning. (Yes, I had posted another video glimpse, but after thinking about it, I decided to delete it, I was not sure I wanted him displayed in that light...but from the description, you get the idea)








I love my son, tremendously, and I will go to the ends of the earth for him, but I share this with you, so that when you are having a bad mommy day, maybe you either won't feel alone or you can think of us as a worse case scenerio either way, hopefully it will make you feel better. Ben is a child with an extra ordinarily strong will, so we really do have a hard time sometimes. Lately as a mom, I have had to learn that the only thing I can do in front of other moms is hold my head up with confidence, so that he knows that whether rain or shine, I am confident of him and also to be extremely consistent. I am queen of leaving parks, play dates and any other situations when he cannot act appropriately and although Monday was really horribly embarrassing for me, I am not so embarassed anymore, and I know I am trying my best, so who cares what anyone else thinks! He has taught me so much and he is such a blessing. --CB


Recap of Program

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Carrie. I hear that someday you will be glad that you preserved even these memories...

    Just remember that God chose you as Ben's Mommy because YOU are the perfect Mommy for HIM. He put you together...He will pull you through.

    I think you guys are doing a great job with Ben. He is a joy everytime I see him.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you've had a rough week. Sometimes with strong-willed children, you have them. I have one myself so I sympathize. Sometimes when Hayley has fits like that, I wonder if I'm a good parent or not. So, Rachel's post to you is actually a post to me as well so thank you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow parent of stubborn boys, let me just say...I know its frustrating, completely inappropriate and not something to laugh at - but from where I'm sitting, "Thanks Cupcake" is about as funny as it gets!

    Hang in there Carrie! You four are a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes, my wife did comment on your blog at 3:48am...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie~
    You are doing a GREAT job! I have always known you to be patient! Rachel is correct, God gave him to you for a reason! Maybe I can send my little Alex up your way ; 0 ) and you can straighten him out! It is tough when I have to punish Addison by leaving a play group or something like that just b/c of her brother! Yikes!!
    Hang in there! I have decided... being a parent is the HARDEST and most JOYOUS task EVER!!!
    Hugs,
    Janell and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry, Carrie, that you had such a hard week. It sounds like you are handling everything well and showing him who's boss. Most people don't believe me because he's good for everyone else, but Caden has a real mouth on him towards me, especially, and I have a hard time not getting angry with him. You are a very patient mommy, and you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, I loved reading this post! I just really love when people share honestly- and I learn so much from that. I have the hardest time comparing my children to others, who seem so perfectly meek and mild, and that is the biggest mistake I can make. I LOVE Elan because he is ALL BOY and has the biggest heart of any little kid I know. We will have the best stories to tell our children one day of all of the crazy and irrational things they did as children! This too shall pass... Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete