Monday, May 16, 2011

Orange Bag Kind of Girl


For a few days now, I have been walking by a bag of hardly eaten oranges. They were starting to get a little soft, but not quite bad yet. For days I've been asking myself, "Why did I get the bag instead of just one or two. I never eat them..."
So, like a little boy might experiment with anything he sees, I decided to see what these oranges could do for me. I grabbed an orange, rolled it on the counter for a moment, and sliced it in half. I then headed straight to my bathroom. My shower door has not been really soap scum free since the day we bought our home. I clean the inside but usually have so many other things to clean that the last thing I care to spend my energy on doing is scrubbing down the glass door.  I cupped the peel side of the orange like a round scrubbing brush, I started scrubbing the inside of the glass door with the orange. And then it happened. Instant gratification. And as soon as I started scrubbing, the citric acid in that orange cut straight through a year and a half of the scum on my shower door. I kept going, with a circular motion till the juice in that half of the orange was gone. The glass was clear, but there was sticky pulp all over the glass. I decided to put the stopper in the sink, and fill it with warm water and some white vinegar. I grabbed a washcloth and went to town wiping the pulp off of the shower door. What took a year and a half to form on that door, took about 10 minutes to obliterate with an almost bad orange. I'm guessing that lemons do this trick as well, without the stickiness.
I took the oranges outside to our patio table. Our table is wrought iron with a glass top that has literally not been cleaned off since last summer. I am aware that disclosing this information is totally disgusting. Rest assured we have not eaten on it since then either. It is what it is folks.
 Anyway,I grabbed my oranges, rolled one, cut it in half and went to
work on the table. Five minutes later after wiping it all off with the warm water and vinegar, a brilliant shine! I'm sold!!  This must have been how my great-grandmother used to clean things. I will never go back to buying one or two oranges or lemons. If you think about it, there is only a little citric acid in the cleaning products that you buy at the store. Even the all-natural organic cleaning products. You still have sit and scrub for quite awhile sometimes. In it's strongest form, the citric acid is so much quicker and more potent.

 Plus, I don't feel bad at all about handing my boys orange halves and some vinegar water and telling them to go wipe down the shower or some windows. Since we need things to do in the summer this daily pastime will fit into their routine quite well. 
~ CB

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great fun idea for summer fun. What is better than playing with food and water together! You are on to something here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I always use citrus fruit to clean my place....smells great and no chems :D

    ReplyDelete