Friday, March 25, 2011

An Unfortunate Incident...


Our Spring Break week started with a bang. A bang to the elbow that is. Monday of last week was quite rainy and incidentally there was nothing to do around the house. By about ten o'clock in the morning I had two little boys running completely wild and asking me every five minutes what we were going to do. So I decided that I would take them to one of those places with the big inflatable things to play on so that they could run off the energy and we could all stay sane.  After the boys had been playing for about 45 minutes or so, I was watching Ben slide down one of the big slides. When he got to the bottom, he stood up on the thin mat on the floor and randomly lost his footing. He came down straight on his elbow.  He tried to shake off the pain and came to the table where I was sitting. I looked at the arm and elbow, I was not sure it was terribly hurt. He was kind of whimpering, but no outright big crying. Within about ten minutes, it started to swell. So we headed to Texas' Children's ER where shortly thereafter it was announced that he had fractured his little elbow. He was such a trooper. He hardly cried. They x-rayed him before they had given him pain medicine. He held his breath and tried to be brave, finally screaming out when they raised the x-ray table too high for him to stand the pain. He is casted now for the next few weeks and acts like he does not have a broken arm. 


CB

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trooper indeed. I know when I was a kid, my friends relished it when they had a cast and got everyone they could to sign it. Hope Ben is healing quickly but making the most of it for now :)

    p.s. that was me who deleted the previous comment. I was logged in as Steve :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks A! At first Ben did not want anyone to sign it..because they have worked so hard on handwriting in Kindergarten that he did not want any 'messy' writing on it...but now he is starting to get in to the fun:)

    ReplyDelete