Saturday, May 8, 2010

Unwritten rules of facebook...what you think most people just know, but some people clearly don't!

Facebook is so much fun! It can be such a good way to connect with people, but it also has annoying points as well. I have been thinking lately...although some of you may think I tote the line with my status updates, etc..I think I actually filter much that comes into my head to post appropriate wording in my statuses...there are so many others who I see that either do not use a filter or absolutely have no clue. This got me thinking. I am pretty sure we have unwritten etiquette rules of FB. So I am going to write down some that I think, and I would love comments on others that you can think of. Some of these are actually based on people I have or have had as friends in the past, but all are just my opinion and of course meant to be humorous.

1.  Don't post creepy profile pictures or people will be scared and they will not friend you.
2.  Don't always write in all CAPITAL letters. This infers that you are a crazy person.
3.  Don't post pictures of your kids and refer to them as, "the brats"
4.  Don't over chat people. When on your fb page, stay "offline". Getting online almost means that you would not mind if the most annoying person that is online chats you up. Although there may occasionally be someone of whom you might want to chat with.
5.  If you friend someone from the past and do not know their spouse at all and have absolutely no connection with them, do not send that spouse a friend request. This would infer that you are a stalker.
6.  Do not use your fb status as an outlet to express your feelings when you are in an argument with your spouse, another family member or a close friend. An example of this is, "I am so angry with Earle! He is such a donkey(other word of donkey)!" So not classy.
7.  Copy and Paste Statuses!! Earle hides people who post these probably more than once. An example, "copy and paste this, if you don't you don't love Jesus or your mom."
8.  Just don't send out application requests on any general basis. It has to be something really good or for a reason if I send them. It is annoying to pile up like 150 app. requests, 100 or whom are all from the same person.
9.  It is okay to ignore friend requests, especially if you have no clue who the person is. If they keep sending the request I would say after the third time, BLOCK!
10. There are many reasons and rules for defriending. Don't defriend a close personal friend(or spouse) that you see everyday just because you got your feathers ruffled. Because you want to REALLY show them how hurt you are. That is stupid. Especially if you know that you will eventually work things out. Do defriend people that you don't know, or anyone who seems inappropriate and you would not want to see your family pictures.
11. Most of the time, any family that you speak to cordially, should be allowed to be your friend on FB. Come on, it is not that exclusive, and when you get right down to it, we are all a little crazy.
12.   I am not sure it is a great idea to post your phone number and address on FB. That does not seem safe...I guess it depends on how broad of a group you decide to accept into your FB business!

Commenters Additions:

13. If you don't want people in your business, don't post it as your facebook status. :)

14. Here is one from a non-fb-er...Don't get mad at someone when they didn't know something about your life when the only place you've broadcast it is on fb. "What!?! You didn't know (interject some major life changing event) I put it on facebook!!!"

15. In a similar vein, don't post overly dramatic status updates, e.g 'I am so ugly' or 'I feel like an idiot'...because when you put that on FB it looks like you're just trying to get as many people as possible to comment 'no you're not, you're beautiful!' or 'you're so smart'...

16.  What bugs me a bit is a status that only a few people actually understand. I'm just annoyed with inside jokes, kinda of clique-y in my opinion. ~MC

I know there will be more that come to mind...these are just a few off of the top of my head. Comment and I'll add yours to the list! Good times and happy facebooking!!

7 comments:

  1. Carrie, you're so funny. I've got to add one that's recently been a topic of discussion at our house -- If you don't want people in your business, don't post it as your facebook status. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is one from a non-fb-er...Don't get mad at someone when they didn't know something about your life when the only place you've broadcast it is on fb. "What!?! You didn't know (interject some major life changing event) I put it on facebook!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a similar vein, don't post overly dramatic status updates, e.g 'I am so ugly' or 'I feel like an idiot'...because when you put that on FB it looks like you're just trying to get as many people as possible to comment 'no you're not, you're beautiful!' or 'you're so smart'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you, I post status updates more than most people. I also, believe it or not, untype, retype, or just plain delete some things that I start to put as my status update. Most of the time the line is clear as to what should and shouldn't be put up there, but sometimes, it's not. Hope I've never crossed the line......my filter for that kind of stuff might be a little off, but I have tried to be ok.

    Luckily my mom is one of my friends, so that kind of keeps me in check....

    Thanks for the funny update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What buggs me a bit is a status that only a few people actually understand. I'm just annoyed with inside jokes, kinda of clique-y in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Carrie for coming up with what should be common sense to most (obviously not). I appreciate your honesty in laying it out there. How are things in Houston - I'm sure much greener and warmer than here. Miss you guys! Gerri

    ReplyDelete