Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I am So Proud of this Boy!!

Tonight was a milestone in the Brown household. Ben had his Christmas program for school tonight. His program started at 7pm and we left just after 6pm to make sure that we would get there in time. The snow and traffic was horrible..and it took us over an hour to get to the church for the program. I was so worried because I had a feeling that this night was going to be really good for Ben. We made it in time, his class had not gone on yet.
For most children this is always a wonderful experience. But for us until tonight, these programs have been always unpredictable because Ben has serious anxiety about these type of events. The first year of Preschool was horrible with programs...see my post from May 2008. Last Christmas was somewhat successful, but Earle and I had to hide from him to stop him from spotting us and running off of the stage in a screaming fit of anxiety. He made it though last year, but was scared and upset afterward because he did not know where we had been. Today he told me he was going to do it...yesterday he sang one of his songs for me all the way through every verse. It does not seem like two songs would be so significant, but tonight they were...just enough time to show how much my little boy is growing up and changing. I am not saying that he was not scared tonight...I think he was, but he was also excited.. This is before the concert, you can see he is fidgeting with his hands...but proud and smiling because he knows he is going to go through with it.

Our pictures did not turn out well at all, we were far away and the lighting was difficult. I was so disappointed about it, but it still gives you an idea.
Here he is, actually up there in front of hundreds of parents and kids...smiling and getting ready to sing.After the songs were over, there was applause...this cracks me up because he is holding his ears...he said the applause were too loud...but that is a good thing!!Afterwards the boys sitting down in the lobby watching the video of the performance...you can see he is still excited/nervous...fidgeting with his mouth and hands.
But you know what, he did it!!! This is a first for Ben and a huge step in his confidence. For once tonight I was the one who got teary eyed, not Earle, and it was all over two silly Christmas songs. I cannot tell you how proud I am of this kid. And also for his teachers this year who have helped him so much!!
CB

8 comments:

  1. Ben did a GREAT job, Carrie! We were laughing so hard when he put his hands over his ears- he's such a character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Ben that Mops is so proud of him. He looks like he was having a good time. Wish I could have been there. I like the picture of his hands over his ears also.
    Love,
    Mops

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOO HOO...Awesome job Ben. We knew you could get up there and 'wow' everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great! I completely understand what you mean. We've had the same experiences with Logan. I actually sat there crying for his first one because I was so excited about it, but when we got there he wouldn't do it. He ended up sitting with me in the Church pew while I sniffled because the other parents looked so proud and excited. His second performance was better - because he stood up there. But it was only after a complete meltdown and then he still just stood up there with tears streaming down. I was still proud but I really wanted him to enjoy it. This years' performance will be on December 18th. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you, Ben!! You are such a big boy and we love you so much. Carrie, I know exactly what you mean about being teary eyed. Lauren was scared last year, but this year she is "all about it." At least for her Thanksgiving program she was and seems pumped about her Christmas program next week. I guess we'll see. :)
    Love, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! He DID it! I remember how anxious he gets about these events. I am just thrilled for all of you! What a big step! Love the tie too - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Carrie~
    I have TEARS in MY eyes, too! This is the sweetest post. I adore the pictures of Earle with his two kids. You and Earle should applaud yourselves too!!!

    ReplyDelete