Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Morning Mama...







I am not a morning person. I took these pics upon arriving home this morning after dropping Ben off. As it gets later and later here that the sun actually comes out, we all sleep later and later. Last year, I had an abrupt awakening after we moved here and Ben started pre-K here. There was no car-line drop off...so this became a bit of a pain traipsing through the snow and such to get to his door where you stand around with the other parents and chat until the bell rings. But at least last year his school started at 12:50pm. This was awesome because I at least had time to make myself somewhat presentable. This year his school starts pretty late, I think, for a morning start time..at 8:45am. But still my priority is to wake up in enough time to get Ben fed and dressed and out the door...not really worrying too much about myself. I am generally up enough to be coherent, but my head is still in a fog...and for some reason my sense of smell has not completely kicked in yet. Strangely enough often times when I arrive at Ben's school the moms are looking so cute and chipper with hair and make-up freshly done and stylish looking clothes on. I on the other hand often arrive with wet hair...that as you can see from the above pics is quite crazy and frizzy and I try to put on a little make up, but generally go with the spare frosty gloss that is in my make-up bag that is definately not quite my color. Most of the time I can't see as well when I first wake up and do not pay attention to the details of my base coverage...to see if it is blended in the way I normally would. My clothes end up being easy throw on clothes...so upon arrival to his school...I am sure I look like a prime candidate for Style Jury, or What Not To Wear. If only the cameras were secretly following me!! I generally try to make a little conversation with Ben because I am about to give him up for the day, but if he talks constantly in the car on the way to school, I have to sweetly say, "Lets just be quiet right now, mommy is trying to wake up."
If Collin has pooped his pants I have to rely on Ben to tell me, because as I said before, I still can't smell well at this point of the morning...so it is possible that Collin could be running around the other kids with a stinky diaper...although I do change it as soon as he wakes up every morning!
I will make eye contact with the moms and have a little conversation in the mornings, but if one of the dads talk to me, I think to myself, "I bet he is thinking that he is so glad that His wife doesn't look like I do in the mornings!" Don't get me wrong there is the occasional day that I wake up, refreshed and ready to go, and look decent, but I think they are the minority. I am not really posting this because I want to change my ways...as I said before, I like my sleep and I need it...and I actually think it will get worse as the winter progresses...considering now it is still pretty dark at 7am...and in a few months it will be 8ish....I do generally have my act together by the pick up time! But I need to know, am I the only one? Do you all look refreshed and cute in the mornings? Maybe I just need an earlier bedtime!
CB

8 comments:

  1. I'm spoiled, since I don't have school-aged kids yet. On days that we don't have anywhere to go (like today) I frequently stay in my PJs all day. For example, I'm pretty sure I brushed my hair this morning. I'm wearing my bathrobe & slippers. No makeup. And it's 1 p.m. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya Mama. You are so real and so cute.Don't change at all.
    I've spent my whole life shaking my wet head into some semblance of order. Works not too badly most of the time in this climate, but deadly in a humid climate. As for make up, 30 years ago my Mary KAy friend told me at 65 I'd have the face I deserve! I have laughed about that ever since. And I am so looking forward to it. Oh I have lots of crazy dress up stories to laugh over. The perfectly done woman will never have that.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie~
    This made me crack up!!! I needed that. NO, you are NOT the only one. Last year as I drug my kids to school I would always think, "Wow, I really should do something about this." Have I changed? No!!! I want to... sort of. But getting everyone out the door with no tears and breathing treatments complete is a HUGE task. I am the last person I am worried about. I am usually thankful that I did not forget my bra!!

    Love ya,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only those faces that you're making that make you look questionable. :)

    You're funny. My kids are usually up around 6:30, so I have plenty of time to get ready in the mornings, but if I don't feel like it, I don't make as much effort. However I am when I drop the kids off is how I am for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh carrie, you poor, sweet, innocent little thing...it won't take months...it will only be weeks until it's dark by 6:30 :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, I do drop off. I have even gone without a bra once. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, if you had not prefaced all these pictures, I never would have known they weren't glamour shots. I think you are beautiful- in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening, and especially in that hot pink track suit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the bravest person I know to post pictures of yourself in the morning. I would never! LOL Then again, I don't look anything close to as good as you in the mornings my friend.

    ReplyDelete