Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Grocery Check out with Ben...

Today, I took both boys with me to Safeway for a few groceries...and things to make cupcakes for Ben's class at school. Ben is getting a little big for riding in the basket, so I decided to let him walk and help with collecting the goods etc. I had a killer headache so by the time we arrived at the check-out after I had been constantly reminding Ben to walk, not run through the store, I was really ready to be done. Ben was being a great helper and helped me put the groceries onto the conveyor belt, while I was trying to keep Collin from pulling down all of the magazines into the cart. Just as Ben was about to be finished putting the groceries onto the checkout belt, he realized he had left something in the basket. I glanced over, and saw that the check out clerk had been telling him what a great job he was doing. I saw him place a package in front of her. Then I caught what he quickly said to her. "And here, "says he with a hugely innocent grin and very matter of fact-like, " we have the diapers."
He was referring to a package of feminine products. I refrained from eye contact with the sales clerk after that. Oh the joys of motherhood.
Ben turned 5 yesterday and we were camping with our friends the Gambles over Labor Day weekend. We had cupcakes and he blew out candles, but the party is yet to come later this month. I had to post a pic of the real day!

CB

4 comments:

  1. yikes! you poor thing...hope your headache is gone :(
    when he gets old enough to tell the difference between diaper brands, you could really embarass him with that story....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That's absoluetly hysterical - gee I guess my day is coming soon as well. But, Logan calls them my bandaids - funny how close he is, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!! I have a friend who has two boys who play with tampons as if they are light sabers.

    Have Earle explain the "diapers" when he gets older! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 things. 1) I can just see his little face with the dramatic pause "and here. . . are the diapers". Hilarious. 2) Collin's face in the birthday picture is priceless. The joy he got to share in on a special day - brothers are so great! (most of the time!)

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete