Thursday, November 6, 2008

Confessions of A Busy, Tired Mother's Mind

Well, Earle is due back tomorrow night and I realized after the past few weeks that there are a few repeat conversations I have with myself somewhat frequently when he is gone....Please don't call CPS...I have the best intentions!

1. At night time it goes like this, as I am brushing Collin's teeth..."Wait a minute, did I brush his teeth yesterday, I am not sure, surely I did." At bath time, "Okay, Ben get in the bath...I think Collin is good for another day, I will just wipe him down with wipes."
2. After the boys are asleep, "Okay, I smell something not quite right, oh my goodness, is that my underarms? It can't be me. I know I showered this morning, I am sure that is not me, I could wait until tomorrow morning, Oh wait, I showered last night...(I take a deeper whiff..)
Oh my goodness it IS me...how embarrassing! I guess I have to muster up the energy to shower tonight!
3. Ben asks, "Mom, can I have pizza for dinner?" Not really feeling like cooking I reply,"That sounds like a great idea." As I pull the pizza out of the oven I quicky remember, oh, no, "Ben what did you have last night for dinner?" "Pizza!" says he. Ay-Yai-Yai!!!

3. HMMM... Now when was the last time I changed Collin's diaper???( Some days he gets changed constantly because I ask this all day and other days, I keep telling myself that I just changed it so we have occasional 2 lb. wet diapers. )

4. Ben constantly asks for snacks, if I am busy sometimes it does not sink in to me how many he has had, I give him pretzels, goldfish, cereal bars etc...some days I ask when Ben refuses to eat a real meal, "How many snacks have you had today anyway?" He replies, "A real, whole lot of them mommy."
"How about an apple," I ask.
"No, thanks," he replies.

5. When I wake up in the mornings...after going to sleep with wet hair I think to myself, " I'll just pull this back into a frizzy ponytail today...and put on my stretchy pants...on second thought why change, I think these pants I slept in should do the trick!"

6. The day Earle is coming home I think to myself.. "Okay, I need to pull myself together and I should do something special and straighten my hair do my make-up and put on some jeans with a decent t-shirt...so he won't come back to find a Troll has eaten his wife." That is my plan anyway!:)

Have a good one!!
CB

11 comments:

  1. Gosh, I miss you Carrie! It sounds like you've done great this week -- everyone is safe and well-fed. I'm just impressed that you actually wiped Collin down with wipes when he didn't get a bath! I sent my kids to my parents' house last Saturday evening, and told her that she might want to give them a bath...they hadn't had one since that Tuesday! And I'm so impressed that you're going to try to be un-trollish for Earle when he gets home. I know there's probably a part of you that wants to throw kids at him and then run the other direction for a little while. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a few more hours!!!! If our husbands only really knew what we do just to survive being alone with kids . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, Carrie. I hope that you've been able to have some down time in the evenings. Dave is going to be gone for a week soon, and I'm soooo dreading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my word......i fell out laughing when i read this.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's times like these when you are glad you don't have to do it alone all the time! I don't know how single parents manage it. I know I couldn't. Well done for getting through it. Standards have to slip so we can enter survival mode and that is OKAY - this is a lesson I am trying to learn myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as their alive...
    Amy L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie I miss you. You crack me up. I love your honesty! Look out Canada! We might come join you now that the new President has been chosen. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Carrie, nobody has quite a way with words like you do! As always, you've stated in humor how most all of us "busy, tired mothers" feel at times so the rest of us don't feel so bad since we know we're not alone in those silly thoughts! :) Love and Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. That sounds like me some days!! I hope you survived!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, you are to be admired. You are a great mom - your boys are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're hillarious!!! That sounds like a typical day for me and my husband IS in town... :)

    ReplyDelete