Saturday, August 9, 2008

Wisdom from a friend....





Well, we have had a fun-packed week with Rochelle and her kiddos coming to visit! Although it was really hot, and we spent a lot of the time indoors, the kids managed to stay somewhat entertained. I was going to blog about our week with pics and everything, but I think Rochelle is going to post, so check out the pics on her site!! Instead, I thought I would post about some great ideas she gave me while she was here. It is not a secret that Ben is a really picky eater and it is next to impossible to get him to eat fruits and veggies!! With all of the travelling we have done this summer, I have really slacked off on trying to get him to eat those things. One thing Rochelle is really good at is getting complete nutrition in her kids meals. So, she actually brought some banana bread to our house from the Jessica Seinfeld book, "Deceptively Delicious". The banana bread had some vegetable puree in it....so it was sneaky, but it tasted pretty good! Collin loved it! You cannot taste the vegetable puree in it. He was getting some fruit and some vegetable in it so that was even better! Ben loves carbs and I think if I start trying to sneak some things by him, I may be successful! Many of the recipes in this book sneaks veggie purees into baked goods. Ben is always begging for "desserts" so I thought...hmm. ...maybe desserts could be part of our actual daily allowance of fruits and veggies. There is brownie recipe I am going to try this week!

When I went to the grocery store today, I tried to be a little more mindful. There are some egg rolls in the deli section of Wal-mart that Ben will eat, and they are loaded with veggies and chicken, but are a great tasting finger food. Also, for the past few weeks, I have been buying these little Banquet Pot Pies for Collin. They have meat and veggies in them and are only 42 cents a piece in the freezer section. When I went to buy some pasta, I got some with Ricotta and Spinach stuffed inside!! So anyway, it is a start! I wanted to share with some of you what we like especially with our "picky eater!" Thank you Rochelle, for encouraging me to do better and setting such a great example! We try to eat healthy...but we are not always balanced like we should be! If any of you have any other great tips, please share!!!

CB
Update: Okay, tonight I made the Choc. Chip cookies from Deceptively Delicious...the secret ingredient is Chick Peas.....you put them in whole, not smashed....I was skeptical...but the result was that they really tasted good! The chick peas tasted really nutty, not at all like chick peas and Ben ate 5!! He loved them and kept asking for more. I told Earle to hide his excitement and quit telling Ben, "good Job" after every cookie or he would catch on to the trick!!!


Rochelle's Blog


3 comments:

  1. I am happy to share. I don't think I have too much wisdom on the matter, but I am glad I inspired you. By the way, you inspire me too - just check out my blog!!! - Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I go through spurts on the healthy food thing, too -- I'm not in such a good one right now...

    My sister-in-law was just showing me that book. I was a little skeptical, too, but you've encouraged me to think about it some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that cookbook and love it! The sweet potato pancakes and chicken tenders are among our favorites. Hope you have success!

    ReplyDelete