Saturday, July 25, 2009

One Last Play....

This post is bitter sweet on many levels for me. First on Dad's passing. I don't think that death is something you are ever fully prepared to deal with, no matter how expected or unexpected it is. This one was quite unexpected. Dad's overall health had been getting gradually worse over the past few years. Diabetes and a nasty concussion had taken a toll on him physically. Recently he had made some comments to others that sometimes the pain was just too much and that at times he thought that it might just be easier to give up. For Dad to admit that to anyone says allot. We now suspect that he was hiding from us how he really felt because he didn't want us to worry. But I know where he is now and whatever pain he was in is now gone. While this is comforting to know it doesn't make it any easier to accept. I've been through all 4 of my grandparents deaths, but this was far and away the most difficult. I've come to the conclusion that my feeble earthly ADULT mind just can't comprehend the glory that is heaven. I envy my son Ben because he gets it. He wasn't really sad thru this ordeal. At one point he and I were driving in the car and he asked why I was so sad. I told him it was because I was not going to get to see Pops anymore and he told me that "its okay, we'll go see him one day". He gets it. It really is a time to rejoice because we will see each other again someday. A friend of ours from Houston sent me a note saying that losing a parent changes you forever. I agree. I don't think I will ever be the same. A piece of me died on early Wednesday morning when we got the call.

The second aspect of this ordeal that makes this bittersweet is the outpouring of love and concern that our friends and church family gave us. I am humbled beyond words and it brings tears to my eyes when I think of what people have done and continue to do for my family and especially for my Mom. To those in Calgary who offered to drive us to the airport at the crack of dawn. To my 2 college friends and their wives that dropped what they were doing and came to the funeral - I cannot put into words how much your presence meant to me at the funeral and I will NEVER forget it. To Rochelle, we can't say thank you enough for the childcare you provided. My heart is touched that you would come up to do that. And to my mother-in-law, I know it meant so much to Mom that you flew out to be with us during this time and we are so appreciative. To all of the current and former church and work friends of the family, the hugs and wishes really helped. If you know me well, that says allot. I don't do hugs outside of my immediate family, but the past few days I've hugged many people and each one of them was a huge encouragement and lifted me up. But most of all, I want to thank my wife Carrie. She carried me through this weekend and pretty much did everything that I was just not in any shape to do. Please continue to pray for my Mom as she now has to transition into this new life.

Now for the title of this post. As you know, we were here just a few short weeks ago and had a great visit with my parents. Dad was even getting down in the floor and playing with the boys which is something that he hasn't done in awhile. After we left, Mom mentioned that he must have been feeling better but he said, "No, not really. I just wanted to do it." At some point this week Carrie and Ben were talking and Ben said, "I'm glad we got to have one last play with Pops before heaven."

Me too son.






I love you so much Dad and I will miss you every day until we see you again.

~EB


Here are a pictures from that last visit that didn't make the post from our last visit in TX.



18 comments:

  1. Earle, what a beautiful tribute to your dad. our hearts ache with you for your loss, yet we know that one day you will be reunited at God's side. What a blessing it is to have children that can remind us of what a great day that will be.

    Our thoughts, love & prayers are with you, your mom, and the rest of your family. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Earle, you have a way with words. I have no idea. It was beautiful. Thanks for letting me be a part. We will be praying for Houston next. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a beautiful post to commemorate a difficult time. We hope that God blesses you with healing and acceptance of his will.
    In Christian love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you Earle and Carrie. No matter how well prepared you are, the death of a loved one is always heartbreaking.
    What a beautiful post.
    We will continue to Pray for your entire family.

    Bendra and Sid Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean, that losing a parent truely changes you. Especially a Dad . . .
    How memorable and precious that last play on the floor was and now in retrospect even sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earle
    Beautifully written. To see those "last play" photos is poignant. I think of him enduring the pain for the joy of playing with the boys. See his amazing smile. What a special gift this was for them and you. How wonderful to capture this. Priceless photos.
    Although I never met your dad, your tribute reflects a man of great dignity and strength. What I learned when my Dad died was that he lives closer inside you than ever before. And the simple faith of your son lights the way.
    Prayers and hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earle,

    What a beautiful message. We were so sad to hear about your loss and your family is in our prayers.

    -Brady, Natalie and Carson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words, Earle, thank you so much for sharing your heart. Dave knows exactly how you feel right now and we are both praying for comfort and strength for you and your family. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Earle and Carrie- Jeff and I are so very blessed to call you guys friends. Earle- I've told Carrie many times that I feel like the Lord sent her here for me. The same goes for you. I love you and your wife and your children dearly. We grieve for you and with you. We are here for you. -Erin

    PS- Jeff is happy to drop off a six pack of Corona anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear Earle:
    What a beautiful tribute to you dad. Your words were jus what I needed to hear today. Ben really does understand--its a shame adults forget what we learned as a child and it is great that we have them to remind us. I know God put Carrie into your life. She has been a blessing this past week. The two of you have done so much this week and I can never thank you enough. A part of us did die with you dad early Wednesday morning, but he will live in our hearts forever; we will see him again. I love you, Carrie, Ben and Collin so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did leave off something. I do believe you inherited the gift of wording things in a beautiful way.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing your heart earle. that really was a beautiful tribute. josh and i are praying for your family and are here for you if you need anything (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Earle. And, I completely agree with you regarding not knowing what its like till you lose a parent. Been there myself and your whole world changes. I get it. I know e-x-a-c-t-l-y what you are going through and my heart goes out to you. The first year is the hardest but thankfully you know that he is at rest and not in pain (I can relate to that as well).

    Just think my dad was one of them that welcomed your dad home. Nice thought.

    Blessings you guys!! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Earle, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful gift he gave to you in that last visit -- what a beautiful gift to Ben and Collin -- something that you will always remember through these pictures. May God carry you through these weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You said it best!

    We love you.

    We really enjoyed our time with your family. Playing with Ben and Collin was a blessing.
    Your friendships with all of these people reflect who you guys are.

    Many hugs.
    J and J

    ReplyDelete
  16. Earle and Carrie, we've been praying for your family and were touched by Earle's beautiful words in honor of his Dad. What a blessing that you had a wonderful visit with your family just a few weeks ago, and you'll always have those memories. Know that there are so many lifting you up and sending good thoughts through the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so sorry to hear this news. We've been praying for yall in our life group. Earle- I can't imagine the pain of losing a parent, but I pray that God will give you continued strength to move forward and hold on to every precious memory of your father. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Earl,
    Hey brother this is Lee. I am not much of a blogger but here goes. I know that your heart is heavy and that lump in your throat just does not want to go away. When Michelle's Dad passed away three years ago not only did I lose a father-in-law, I lost a best friend, in some respects he and I were closer than my own Dad. One thing that someone told me after his service was. Can you imagine the lookk on his face when God said to him" Welcome home my good and faithful servant". The lump will be there for a while. Just like mine is comming back right now. Your Dad is where we all strive to be, in this life. Buddy, you and your family will be our thoughts and prayers. Your friend,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete