Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Funny things that have happened to me since I have been here in Canada...

These are just a few funny circumstances I felt I might not have run in to in the States...hope you see the humor!

1. On Saturday, Earle and I had and appt. at a bank to get my name on our account...so he had to find one that was open on Saturdays...we got closer to the place we were supposed to be going and everything was in Chinese....we arrived at the Bank site..it was inside a Chinese supermarket where no one spoke English. We stuck out like a sore thumb..but were trying not to smile under the circumstance...luckily the bank teller spoke English...but everyone else was looking at us like, "what in the world are you doing here!"

2. Today I was walking the kids down the street. I could not figure out what the stroller was stuck on...I finally saw that I had been dragging and small iceberg about at 7 in. square for the past few yards...oh, that makes sense!

3. Ben's school requires a pair of athletic shoes to keep at school. We got there with the pair the had on and the one that we were going to leave...I realized that all of the other kids had snow boots on and were taking them off at the door because they were full of snow. "Oh," I said to his teacher, "they have on boots, now I understand...the tennis shoes are the dry ones to wear in the classroom." I looked over at Ben as he was kicking the snow off of his light up tennis shoes. She laughed and said, "You aren't in Louisiana anymore!"

4. I got into the first grocery store last week with Collin in hand. It was a Safeway...I was about to put him in the cart when I realized that I had to put a quarter in first. I realized I did not have a quarter, and to make the situation worse, even if Earle found one in the car, we did not yet have a Canadian quarter...luckily a nice woman gave me her cart as she was coming out. When we turned it in..guess what, it gave us her Canadian quarter back! I kept the quarter for future use!

5. Lots of times grocery stores and Wal-marts are in Malls...it is sort of different..but the cool thing is you can get your groceries, keep the kid in the cart and walk around the mall.

6. The monday after we got here, our new friends, the Lonards had us invited us over for dinner. It had been a long day, Ben's first day of school and we had taken our dogs way out in the country to be boarded before we went to their house. I was really tired, but excited to finally meet my new friend for the first time in person. We got out of the car..and I had on my tennis shoes and no coat...I got Collin out of his seat and started to climb through the almost foot and a half deep or so of snow over to the much more shallow side walk. I lost my balance and my whole body fell into the snow drift! I was covered from head to toe on one side of my body...while I had managed to keep Collin pretty much out of it. I was so tired, I was laughing and crying at the same time and told myself to pull it together. We went up to the door and my friend Erin opened it...there I was, a snow dipped girl...I said, please excuse the mess, I fell in the snow!! She acted like it was nothing and went on about buisness. Earle was still laughing at me! Thanks Erin for not being horrified! So much for first impressions! At least you know she met the Real me!!!:)

5 comments:

  1. So many adventures. Wish I could have been there for the snow fall and the icy stroller! Those would have made me laugh! Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so strong! Telling yourself to pull it together - you poor thing - cold, tired, taking a fall and saving Collin and trying to make a first impression. That is a lot to ask of mom in a few short minutes. You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie~
    I am literally laughing outloud. *sigh*. You are just too cute! I hope you are adjusting. I know it must be crazy. I am so impressed with your good attitude! You are an awesome wife!
    Hugs from Texas.
    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carrie, thanks for sharing. You're right...it sounds like Erin was meeting the "real you!" :) Glad to hear you're still able to find humor in what could be really frustrating and overwhelming situations. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are handling this so much better than I would! Very interesting about the grocery stores in malls. Keep the stories coming!!!

    ReplyDelete