Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just felt like sharing a recipe!!!

Yesterday, I decided to see what ingredients I could round up to make a soup after watching a 30 minute meal on the Food Network...I soooo felt like Sandi for the day!!:) You should check out her blog, because she always has great recipes and menus on there...Anyway, it turned out great...and my boys really liked it. Even Ben was persuaded to eat some:

Pantry/Freezer Soup

2 frozen chicken breasts...boiled in about 6 cups of water or so
2 beef bouillon cubes
1lb. Smoked Andoulle Sausage
1 1/2 to 2 cups pureed carrots
1 cup of pureed butternut squash
Approx a cup of either frozen spinach or canned greens(I used the greens, I think Earle may have preferred the spinach)
1 mostly used and opened bag of frozen chopped onions.
1 can of diced potatoes
Approx 2 cups of egg noodles, or any small noodles
1 bag of Italian dressing seasonings
*Garlic Powder, Chicken seasoning to taste...I also used some Tony Sacherez, but I added it to my own for the boys sake..and cracked black peppercorns...careful on the salt until you are almost done because of the sausage:)

How to combine it:
Put your frozen chicken breasts in the 6(or so) cups of water with the 2 beef bouillon cubes.
Thaw and cut up the sausage into small bits, however small you like and brown it in a pan. You can drain it if you like..While browning the sausage, stir in onions, when it is all brown and nice, pull out your poached chicken, cut it into bitesized pieces and throw it in there with the sausage mixture..mmm..it should be smelling great by now! Mix in your pureed veggies while you use you broth from boiling your chicken to start slowly adding to make the soup.(I used this because I had no broth) Add a little more than you think necessary, because later you have to add the noodles. Stir in the potatoes and the frozen green spinach or greens and add about half of the Italian seasoning mix. Keep checking for the taste on that one. Mix in your seasonings..and I added 2 packets of Sweet-N-Low...just because I always like a little sweet to balance things out. Simmer for as long as you like, stirring occasionally...then add your noodles about 20 minutes before you are ready to eat. It seems complicated, but it was really easy!! Serve with some toasty bread..and enjoy!!
CB

7 comments:

  1. Get here already and we can cook it together!!!! Sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Thanks so much for your advice! You'd think things like that would occur to me, but, alas, they do not. I so wish you could come help me set up! What fun that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to walmart today for provisions. (Yes it's called provisions when Lee is away because I often feel like a pioneer tackling life in the south as gracefully as possible). Anyway I'll try it tonight. Why didn't I take some soup yesterday??? Now I have to make it. Next time simply insist:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're nominated for an award! See my blog for details...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may give that a try...
    And Tag- you're it! Check my blog for details! Hope you're having a good day! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy!! You made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete