Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting a hold of our Summer Routine!!!

Okay, summer, with two children of completely differently physical capabilities has proven to challenge me this year! First of all, what in the world am I supposed to do with them all day to keep them occupied? We go everywhere, just the three of us. When Ben was in school, I would take Collin along on my errands, while I did have to tote him around, it was generally quiet....but with Ben, there are many, many repeated questions, opinions about what we are doing, and there is always a huge need for us to be outside and physically active. Here are a couple of pics of us on some errands....we three! The first picture is at the Dr.'s office, and the second is at the grocery store.





I can't wait until Collin is old enough to play outside with


Ben and interact with him like a playmate!







Maybe next summer, we have got to get him walking first!~!







After a few days of running countless errands, to take up some time, a friend of mine, Angela Clem, suggested that I put Ben in some swimming lessons...it has been the best thing!! He loves it and it completely wears him out.

Here is our summer routine as of this week, and it seems to be working...things can vary...



  • Get up, let Ben watch Noggin while he eats his breakfast and I feed Collin.


  • Finish Breakfast, put Collin back into his crib for some crib play time while I get dressed to to the the PAC(Pelican Athletic Club) which is where I work out and we can go to the pool.


  • Get kids dressed and Go to swim, usually around 10:00am(usually I put Collin in childcare and just take Ben to the pool)


  • Leave the PAC around 12:00


  • Get home to eat lunch and then put Collin down for a nap.


  • Read some books with Ben, and let him have playroom time, or a nap if he needs it.


  • 3:00 Get Ben ready for his swimming lessons.


  • 4:00 Swimming lessons for Ben and Collin and I watch.


  • Get home just before 5:00


  • Dinner between 5:00 and 6:00


  • After 6:00 maybe a walk with Dad until 7:00


  • Bath time and Bedtime for Collin,


  • Ben might get to stay up and play bowling or baseball on the Wii with his dad,


  • Usually by 8:00 Ben is in bed and Earle and I are FREE!!!

So we may not go to the pool in the mornings everyday, but here are some other options...we have been trying to go to the Library, sometimes we can go to the park, but it is starting to get really hot here in Louisiana. There is the occasional play date, or possibly McDonald's or Chick-fil-a playland. Oh yes, and occasionally some errands have to be run.


Some things I have learned that make our swimming pool outings easier are:

  • Always have the kids pre-showered and as Ben would say, "greased up" with sunscreen before you get in your car to go to the pool, that way they can just get right in, and if you have to hold another child your hands are at least free of one. Don't come in street clothes, just swimsuit and t-shirt and flip flops or cover up.


  • the little floating ring for Collin with the mesh netting for the toys and the little awning...it is great!


  • We typically just dry off at the pool, and I put on my swimsuit cover up and just get back into the car like that, it save us the chaos of the locker room clean up and getting dressed time, we just do that at home.


  • I made the mistake of buying a huge pool bag, but it does not go over my shoulder, you have to carry it in your hands...that was a big mistake...get one that goes over your shoulder.

  • I am not one to spend money on clothes for myself...but seriously, ladies, invest in a good swimsuit that fits you so that you feel more confident on all of these pool outings! I finally got one that I could order by size and bra size with an underwire and a skirtini...it cost way more than I would have ever thought, but I don't feel like I have to hide behind a tree or large float! I got mine at a place called Bora Bora, but my friend Rochelle, told me that you can order them like that from Land's end...each piece probably will run you about $75.00,(so if you get both pieces $150.00+ OUCH!) but it is totally worth it...if you can save up for one. Dillards also has some good ones. And no, the only swimsuit picture you will see of me will be a headshot! In this one I can feel confident that my "girls" are not falling out and I am not showing my glory to the world while I chase my kids.


This is the little float for Collin that is awesome! I got it at Target. Bathing Suit Picture...Playing at the PAC...

Swimming Lessons at Northshore Swim


Last but not least, I wanted to show you this series of books that I found at the Library...those of you with older kiddos, probably have already seen these, but Ben is trying to learn his letter sounds better, before he starts to read, and these are really good. They are called the Sound Box Books...one for every letter by Jane Moncure. I thought that maybe I should buy the series so both of the boys could have them...but they are really expensive...about $15.00 per book. So we will be using our library quite a bit this summer!! Hope you are all off to a great start! Please give any summer tips you may have, I can always use some to make things easier!!
CB

4 comments:

  1. I think it is funny how we always learn what can be done way easier after a couple of days doing it the hard way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...the library. I miss the library. We went a lot the first summer we were here. Since Micah has become mobile though, and old enough that the protest coming from the stroller is unbearable, we don't get to go much. I don't think the other patrons appreciate the two choices I have of two-year-old running wild or two-year-old temper tantrum... I know there are lots of things about Collin not walking that are hard, but try to enjoy the ones that do still make your life easier while you can!

    Funny, your summer schedule is not much different from ours the past couple of weeks, minus the 4:00 swim lessons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a schedule! You seem to have a handle on it though! I loved the bathing suit picture...you are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Carrie! I really learned a lot! I TOTALLY agree about the swimsuit issues. Sheesh! It is crazy trying to be a woman, chase your kids, and not have everything falling out of your suit at the same time. I can hardly keep up with myself much less two kids and "the girls".
    Miss you heaps.
    Janell

    ReplyDelete